Thursday, November 13, 2008

Meeting Relatives and Tasting Olive Oil in Northern Italy









































































































One branch of my family tree on my Mom's side runs through northern Italy. I wrote about my visit to Lago di Garda earlier in this blog. While I was in Verona with my parents, they hired a driver and we made a trip to visit the Salagno Olive Oil Co. about 15 minutes outside of Verona.

While there, we got to meet some distant cousins who run the facility and make some fantastic olive oil and olive products, including some great beauty products. Francesca Salvagno, 26, gave us a very nice tour and we were joined along the way by her father, Giovani. We also met her sister and a cousin who works at the company.

It was a really neat experience to get the chance to meet distant family in the hills of Italy! I especially enjoyed watching the process of how they make their olive oil. I thought it was especially interesting that many of the people who came in to buy olive oil while we were there bought unfiltered olive oil. Francesca Salvagno told us that she herself preferred the unfiltered olive oil as well!

I don't think that I will ever taste olive oil the same way again!

1 comment:

Hyperbole Girl said...

I found your blog while searching for advice on traveling by train through Europe- I'm really enjoying reading through it. I've been to Prague, Vienna, and Budapest before- so I've especially enjoyed seeing what you got from those places.
I'll be studying abroad in London next semester and hope to blog like you have- hope you're having fun!