Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Krakow, Poland

Krakow was my first stop while traveling for my fall break from classes. This was my first time visiting eastern Europe and I cannot wait to get the chance to return!

Krakow was once Poland's capital city and still has a regal character. Pope John Paul II, Karol Wojtyla, is the most famous native son of Krakow, Poland. He was Pope from 1978 to 2005. When Pope John Paul II died the entire city went into mourning, even Krakow's two rival soccer teams held mass together in honor of the Pope. Photographs of Pope John Paul II can be found throughout the city.

Some of the great sites to visit include Wawel Royal Castle and Wawel Cathedral, which is a national shrine containing the tombs of a number of Polish kings. The Basilica of the Virgin Mary's (Kosciol Mariacki) is located in the city's Grand Square (Rynek Glowny), a medieval classic that is one of the most beautiful spots in Eastern Europe. Krakow's Grand Square is beautiful and bustling. There are many restaurants that line the outside of the square as well as a market in the center of the square that sells many products unique to Poland. While visiting Krakow I spent the majority of my time exploring the Grand Square.

Below are a few photographs from my trip to Krakow.




























No comments: