Friday, September 5, 2008

Lago di Garda



During my travels through Northern Italy I visited Lago di Garda (Lake Garda). This trip was incredible for a variety of reasons. The area and towns surrounding Lake Garda are gorgeous. Picture crystal clear waters, with white rock beaches and alpine mountains for a backdrop!
Located about halfway between Venice and Milan, Lake Garda is the largest lake in Italy. During my stay at Lake Garda I visited Sirmione, which is one of the more touristy areas on the lake.
Being the last weekend of Italian holiday, it was a bit crowded- but the water was perfect and the scenery was otherworldly. The beach that my roommates and I swam off of is where the Scaliger Castle is located (pictured above).
I found it particularly special to visit Lake Garda because my maternal ancestors are from the surrounding area. Salvagno, my maternal grandmother's maiden name is a popular last name in the region. I couldn't help but think, while swimming in the lake, that generations ago my ancestors probably spent many hot days swimming in the same waters.

Ciao for now!

Below is a video that I thought you all would enjoy of a little Italian boy dancing
(and falling) on the beach.

No comments: