Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Tour De Bette



About 3 weeks before I left for Europe my Aunt Bette (Elizabeth Salvagno) passed away at the age of only 44. Bette was an incredible woman and was a major role model in my life. I know that Bette was really excited for me to study abroad, and in honor of her memory I will be photographing her hiking sandals throughout Europe. Bringing Bette's sandals along with me reminds me to get the most out of everything that studying abroad has to offer. Bette truly made the most out of her short time on earth.
At Bette's memorial service I was able to witness what a mark she had made on so many lives. Bette always had a plan, a strategy to make things more organized- or easier to handle. Bette was someone who I could turn to for advice and counsel. In fact, she helped me to make the decision to transfer schools to Loyola Chicago. I can vividly remember her writing out a list of pros and cons surrounding transferring schools. Coming to Loyola in turn enabled me to study abroad at the John Felice Rome Center.
I know that Bette would have wanted me to take away as much as possible from my time in Europe. Bette always encouraged me to travel and to work hard in college. Studies were extremely important to Bette, but she also knew how to relax and have a good time as well. What I mostly hope to emulate from Bette was her ability to leave everything better than when she came to it.
Bette may be gone in the physical sense but I will take her advice and the example that she set with me through life.

No comments: