Tuesday, September 16, 2008

My Hike through Le Cinque Terre

If you are planning to visit Le Cinque Terre I highly recommend hiking in between the five towns. There is a train that can take you to each town but truly, nothing could beat the sheer beauty of hiking Cinque Terre.
The hike costs 5 Euro and is roughly 8 miles. It is imperative that you dress to hike and wear sneakers or good hiking sandals. You can choose how many towns you would like to hike to and can take the train between the rest. My roommates and I decided to give it our best shot to hike the entire trail.
We started our hike in Monterosso. The next town over is Vernazza, the leg of the hike between Monterosso and Vernazza is the most strenuous. Mostly uphill, on a narrow path, oftentimes on the side of a cliff- it can be intimidating. If you are up for the challenge the views are breathtaking, and there is a good chance that you will meet some interesting people along the way.
The next town over from Vernazza is Corniglia. This is very close in difficulty to the first leg of the hike. Once you have completed this portion the remainder of the hike to Manarolla and Riomaggiore are simple in comparison.
It is possible to complete the hike in around 4-5 hours but if you want to stop in each town allow for closer to 7 hours. This means start early, once it gets dark out it is difficult to see what you are doing since many of the paths are not lit.
Each town is beautiful but I found Monterosso and Vernazza to be my favorites. I took nearly 400 photographs of the hike and I will continue to add as many as I can. Here is a taste of what awaits you if you decide to hike Le Cinque Terre...


No comments: